Thanksgiving reflections...

11.26.2010

As Turkey Day neared this year, I had a rather lazy approach to the reason for the season. It has no obvious spiritual tie like Christmas or Easter, and it's easy to simply look forward to a tasty meal and time with family. But as the fam and I made the eight hour drive to Boise for my cousin's wedding today, I had time to reflect on Thanksgiving...in between feeding time for Finn, stopping to look at deer and "cantalope" with the "minawcoolers" as Boone would say, and swinging through the occasional drive through for mom and dad as the boys slept.

I found myself reflecting on the usuals to be thankful for...my wife and kids, our home, a job, life in America...but I was also diagnosing my lack of a deeper interest in the all too common celebration of Thanksgiving Day...turkey, stuffing and everyone mentioning something they're thankful for...simply another family get together with food!

Somewhere along our journey today, as everyone else was fast asleep, God reminded me that every holiday is an opportunity to glorify Christ...and Thanksgiving is a chance to be thankful for the selfless gift God's given us...eternal life for all who believe in Christ. We are so often sidetracked by things of this world, and focused on the surface of our life. Of course I want to reflect on and thank my wife for the home she's made and the way she cares for all three of her boys, but don't want to overlook the way God's sought after me, fought for me and saved me...and you. I hope you all found the time to thank the Lord as you reflected this week. May we run the race with out eyes fixed on Heaven to come! We have more to be thankful for and look forward to than we know!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Jeff

0 comments:

Post a Comment